THE BETTER SIDE OF THE PHILIPPINES
FACTS... facts....facts... and nothing but facts....Filipinos (including the press, business people and myself) tend to dwell too much on the negative side, and this affects the perception of foreigners, even the ones who have lived here for a while. The negative perception of the Philippines is way disproportionate to reality when compared to countries like Columbia, Egypt, Middle East, Africa, etc.
Just realizing the following that I am proud of being a Pinoy....
1. The great telecom infrastructure that we have now did not exist in 1995. 1995 was the year the telecom industry was deregulated. Since then billions of dollars have been invested in both fixed line and cellular networks producing a system with over 5,000 kms of fiber optic backbone at a world competitive cost. From a fixed line capacity of about 900,000 in 1995 we now have over 7 million. Cellular phones practically did not exist in 1995; now we have over 11 million line capacity.
2. The MRT, many of the EDSA flyovers (including the Ayala Avenue flyover), the SKYWAY, Rockwell and Glorietta 4, the Fort, NAIA terminal 2 and most of the new skyscrapers were not yet built in 1995.
3. If you drive to the provinces, you will notice that national roads are now of good quality (international quality asphalt roads). Just went to Iba, Zambales for example, you'll be impressed that even a not so frequently travelled road was of very good quality.
4. Philippine exports have increased by 600% over the past eight years. There are many, many more examples of progress over the last eight years. Philippine mangoes are now exported to the US and Europe.
Additional tidbits to make our people prouder:
1. INTEL has been in the Philippines for 28 years. The Philippines plant is where Intel's most advanced products are launched, including the Pentium IV. By the end of 2002, Philippine operations are expected to be Intel's biggest assembly and testing operations worldwide.
2. TEXAS INSTRUMENTS has been operating in Baguio for over 20 years (This is where my sister next to me works as a Process Engineer). The Baguio plant is the largest producer of DSP chips in the world. DSP chips are the brains behind cellphones. TI's Baguio plant produces the chip that powers 100% of all NOKIA cellphones and 80% of Erickson cellphones in the world.
3. TOSHIBA laptops are produced in Santa Rosa, Laguna.
4. If you drive a BENZ, BMW, or a VOLVO, there is a good chance that the ABS system in your car was made in the Philippines.
5. TREND-MICRO, makers of one of the top anti virus software PC-Cillin (I may have mispelled this) develops its "cures" for viruses right here in Eastwood Libis, Quezon City. When a virus breaks in any computer system in the world, they try to find a solution within 45 minutes of finding the virus.
6. By the end of this year, it is expected that a majority of the top ten US. Call Center firms in the U.S. will have set up operations in the Philippines. This is one area in which I believe we are the best in the world in terms of value for money.
7. America Online (AOL) has 1,000 people in Clark answering 90% of AOL's global e-mail inquiries. (Also Circuit City.)
8. PROCTOR & GAMBLE has over 400 people right here in Makati (average age 23 years) doing back-up office work to their Asian operations including finance, accounting, Human Resources and payments processing.
9. Among many other things it does for its regional operations network in the Asia-Pacific region here in Manila, CITIBANK also does its global ATM programming locally.
10. This is the first year ever that the Philippines will be exporting cars in quantity courtesy of FORD Philippines.
11. The government is shedding off graft and corruption slowly but surely. This is the first time in our history that a former president is in jail and facing charges of plunder. Despite all odds, we are still pursuing the ill-gotten wealth of Marcos now enjoyed by his unrepentant heirs.
And now just to tell you all that I am indeed PROUD TO BE PINOY!..... HOY! PINOY AKO!
Posted at Monday, August 15, 2005 by Star-Tariray
SeE hOW tHeY ReAcT...
If my life had a rewind button, it would have been worn out a long time ago. For sure you know what I mean... If only I could turn back the time, if only I have said what I still have, if only I did what I need to do... If only I could... Too often, after ending a conversation, I have felt that I said the wrong words. I've wished that I could have another shot to get it right.
It normally happened in the office, class, to my friends, to the client over the phone... deep sigh... that kind of second-guessing isn't all bad. It can keep us from flying recklessly through life., leaving a trail of hurt or never learning from our mistakes. But too much self-questioning can paralyze us with fear and insecurity, causing us to feel like a failure. Such preoccupation with the past, focusing on our mistakes, can keep us from moving forward with joy, hope and confidence.
Well, I should be looking forward then.... because I cannot turn back time and do what I think is better way back then. All I need to do now is to change my focus from the past to the future.. I believe it is God's permissive will that things happened way back then, it gives spice to my life. it helped me to grow spiritually and learned from my mistakes, it developed me to what I am now.. the past is my backbone on what I become now....
Sometimes past troubles me, those people that I hurted and caused pains, my sins that I have done... I just regret doing those yet the Lord is so faithful and loving to cover all those things that I have done.. of course there are consequence on what I did...
About my troubled past, the Lord offered some ecouraging words through the book of Prophet Isaiah. The Lord said, "Do not dwell on the past" (Isa. 43:18). The Lord wanted us to look into our future. He offered to blot out our sins and remembered them no more (v.25). We could start fresh with them.
So instead of dwelling on our past, let's give it all to God. We need to confess what should we confessed and talk to Him about our frustrations and self doubts. Then seeking His help, we can moved ahead into our future, learning and growing along the way. We can be confident that He will help us, so that we won't feel the need to hit the rewind button so often...and that we should let God lead us into our decision and bear in mind that there is no rewinding.....
Posted at Sunday, August 14, 2005 by Star-Tariray
SeE hOW tHeY ReAcT...
Saturday, August 13, 2005
I was up the earliest as possible... can't sleep la... I can't sleep the whole morning away that I wanted to do and said the other night... Oh, why can't I....
Done alot of things today.... our TSF level are gone so down... and indeed already bleeding... so even it is not my logged in time yet, I need to give a hand on my agents.... I received alot of irate clients on the line and I thank God that I did pacify them all... I tried all the possible means to meet their needs or must I say demand... oh my God! this is the hardest thing to do .... is to do the impossible things for them.... oh my!.... I thank you Lord that most of the person that I asked for help are there to help me out on this...
I experienced everything tonight... being cursed from head to toe, being yelled upon, received all what their complains are and hearing them out.... oh... I feel like crying.... well, infact I did cried about this courier who is being so un-helpful on the favour for this demanding client... client are really annoying and indeed demanding.... Lord.... help me out on this... I feel like I can't handle this anymore... yet you are there giving me strength to carry on.... oh, I need to go now... I am actually doing this while talking to my sister over the phone.... oh, I just need someone to talk to just to release all of these... thank you Lord for all of these...
Posted at Saturday, August 13, 2005 by Star-Tariray
SeE hOW tHeY ReAcT...